Pond Branch, Carroll Co., TN
|UPDATED: 16 Feb 2012|
was created 7 November 1821 from Chickasaw Indian Lands.
District maps of Carroll Co., TN
iWebTech: Chird Bobbitt
Copyright © 1987
All Rights Reserved
Tree on Ancestry
Carroll County, TN Genealogy & History Tennessee State Library & Archive Guide
Branch Rd, Buena Vista, TN Pond
Branch School Pond Branch
Pond Branch Road Pond Branch Road Bridge West Side Pond Branch Road Bridge East Side
History of Carroll County, Tennessee, Vol. 1 by Turner, pages 52 and 53.
The Areas around Antioch, Pond
Branch, and Blount
Creek (District #6 in 1830?)
were heavily populated very early in 1830's because the land was free to
occupants, in contrast to land in and around Buena Vista, which had been granted
about 30 years earlier to military officers and had to be purchased. John Wesley
(Coocher) Brown owned property on Pond Branch in 1830. A Surveyor named Bobbitt
received a grant from the U.S. Government and constructed a large pond between
Pond Branch and the Sandy River called the Bobbitt Pond, near the farm of
Coocher Brown. Bobbitt's property was south of the present Pond Branch
bridge. Blounts Creek was named after Issac Blount who had the first grist mill
in Carroll County.
Rosser is a small community that grew up where
the railroad crossed the main highway east of Huntingdon. The official name was
Post, but it has always been called Rosser, they say because a man named Rosser
ran the first store.
After Rosser's Store, a Mr. Green ran one store and Stewart Huffman another; these were frame buildings which later burned. Edgar Traywick and his partner Hover Williams ran a store; they were bought out by Cloud Mebane who in turn sold to Quay Foust. Mr. Foust died and his widow sold to Lester Campbell, who sold to William L. Smith. Mr. Smith sold to Luther Dickerson who was still in operation in 1972.
In the old days mail was delivered to the store from the train by means of a lever where the mail sack hung on the side of the train. As the train ran by, the sack was caught on another lever on a platform in the back of the store.
About a quartet of a mile down the railroad is the old Foust home which was built by Quay and Maggy Foust. Tom Bateman built a log house near the old school. Later he and his family moved into a frame house across from the present store (1772). John Bobbitt lived, I believe where Mrs. Clyde Churchwell now lives (1972).This house was later occupied by Steve and Alice Pettigree http://www.tnyesterday.com/yesterday_natchez_trace/ntf-3.html .